Fountain Timber has always been an environmentally - minded organisation. The company processes and supplies timber products, which are a renewable, low energy, low environmental impact alternative to many other building products. We care about timber and take great pride in producing high quality products while minimising the impact production has on the environment.
The Board of Directors, management and staff at all levels of the organisation at Fountain Timber Products Ltd are committed to developing a business that is both environmentally aware and dedicated to minimising any negative environmental impacts. We constantly endeavour to find new uses for products previously considered waste. For example - sowmill offcuts converted to logs or woodchip to be used in stoves or biomass boilers. Sawdust used for animal bedding , woodchips for pathways etc.
On a wider scale, we have a policy of actively promoting the sustainable timber through legislative and policy reform which leads to the environmental services provided by forests to be reflected in the price paid for timber products.
Our stated management goals:
- Comply with all legislative requirements as a minimum, but where practically possible exceed these requirements.
- Prevent pollution
- Be committed to a "continuous improvement program"
- Introduce all necessary controls to ensure as far as practically possible, that the impact of Fountain Timber on air, water or land are minimised.
- Undertake training programs so that all employees understand the impact of their activities.
- Obtain timber from responsibly managed sources and seek independent certification whenever possible.
On arrival at Fountain Timber, the processing of that material is then subject to an environmental management system in accordance with strict ISO 14001 standards.
Fountain Timber Products and group companies have a record of sustained yield management in the UK. Following a Forestry Stewardship Council® audit by an independent company of purchases and processes during 2012, we are pleased to have a further 5 year certification under certificate No CUCOC 807095 to confirm our commitment to purchasing and supplying timber from responsibly managed sources.
ISO 14001 Certificate (printable PDF)
FSC Certificate No. CU-COC-8070-95 (printable PDF)
Buy from FSC® suppliers to protect the timber industry and environment
We are proud to support The FSC® in promoting responsible management of the world’s forests:
- The organisation was founded in 1993 in response to public concern about deforestation and demand for a trustworthy wood-labelling scheme.
- There are national working groups in more than 50 countries. FSC UK is a registered charity.
Benefits of buying from FSC® certified suppliers:
- FSC® certified forests are managed with consideration for people, wildlife and the environment.
- The FSC® label guarantees that the trees that are harvested are replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally.
- Parts of the forest are protected entirely, in order to protect rare animals and plants.
- All the wood is tracked from the forest to the store, with a chain of custody.
- Every link between the forest and the consumer is certified to make it clearly identifiable which wood is FSC® certified and which is not.
The Biomass Suppliers List (BSL) is a method which is used to provide RHI (Renewable Heath Incentive) participants with a simple way to demonstrate that their fuel complies with RHI fuel sustaianability standards .
The BSL is administered by Gemserv on behalf of the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC). RHI participants using biomass fuel need to ensure that their fuel meets the RHI sustainability criteria and demonstrate this to Ofgem in order to claim RHI payments. Fuel must meet a lifecycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions criteria of 60 per cent GHG savings against the EU fossil fuel average, and the land criteria – which for wood fuel are set out in the UK Timber Standard for Heat and Electricity.
Suppliers who wish to register their fuel(s) on the List are required to submit data for audit by the BSL Administrator. Suppliers who successfully register fuel(s) on the RHI Biomass Suppliers List are permitted to label their compliant products with the BSL mark to illustrate that this fuel complies with RHI sustainability criteria.
The BSL is a fuel sustainability scheme but encourage the use of high quality fuel.
Fountain Timber Products Ltd is a BSL authorised supplier.